• SEND - Special Educational Needs & Disabilities
  • SENDCO - Special Educational Needs & Disability Co-ordinator is a teacher within a school who is responsible for co-ordinating help for children with special educational needs.

4 Types of SEND
  1. Communication & Interaction - Children may have difficulty in communicating with others
  2. Cognition and Learning - Help for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate support
  3. Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties - Children may be withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour
  4. Sensory and/or Physical Needs – Some children with vision impairment, hearing impairment or a multi-sensory impairment will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning

  • ADD - Attention Deficit Disorder. (Also see ADHD)
  • ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
  • ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder
  • CF - Cystic Fibrosis
  • CP - Cerebral Palsy, CP can also be used as jargon for Child Protection
  • GDD - Global Developmental Delay. Global Developmental Delay implies that the child has delays in all areas of development.
  • HI - Hearing Impairment
  • MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulties
  • MSI - Multi Sensory Impairment
  • PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties.
  • SLD - Severe Learning Difficulties. Can sometimes refer to speech and language difficulties too
  • SPLD - Specific Learning Difficulty, for example dyslexia or dyspraxia
  • VI - Visually Impaired

Additional areas of support
  • CAMHS - Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • EHA – Early Help Assessment - a process which supports children and their families
  • DLA - Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit you can claim if your child needs extra help or looking after because of their special needs.
  • DDA - Disability Discrimination Act
  • ENT - Ear, nose and throat
  • EHCP – Educational Health Care Plan – A plan to support children in school with complex Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities
  • EP - Educational Psychologists are psychologists who may offer support when a difficulty is affecting your child’s learning
  • GP - General Practitioner or family doctor
  • HV - Health Visitor
  • LA - Local Authority
  • Local Offer – What is available for children with SEND in the area
  • NHS - National Health Service
  • One Page Profile - A document which is completed with the child - it focusses on their likes, dislikes, strengths and areas for development
  • OT - Occupational Therapist - can help children improve their cognitive, physical, sensory, and motor skills
  • Paediatrician - Doctor who specialises in the development or care of children
  • PEP - Personal Education Plan
  • SALT - Speech and Language Therapy
  • SW - Social Worker
  • TAC - Team Around The Child
  • TAF – Team Around The Family