Personal Social Emotional and Relationship and Sex Education
Our intention is that when children leave Cambois Primary School, they will do so with the knowledge, understanding and emotions to be able to play an active, positive and successful role in today’s diverse society. We want our children to have high aspirations, a belief in themselves and realise that anything is possible if they put their mind to it. In an ever–changing world, it is important that they are aware, to an appropriate level, of different factors which will affect their world and that they learn how to deal with these so that they have good mental health and well-being.
Our PSE curriculum develops learning and results in the acquisition of knowledge and skills which will enable children to access the wider curriculum and prepare them to be a global citizen now and in their future roles within a global community. It promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils, preparing them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences for later life. Our Relationships and Sex Education enables our children to learn how to be safe, and to understand and develop healthy relationships, both now and in their future lives.
EYFS - In the Foundation Stage Children will be supported to develop their skills in PSE through their play with some adult modelling and guidance. They will be supported to manage their emotions, develop a positive sense of self, have confidence in their own abilities, to persist and wait for what they want. They will learn how to look after their bodies, including healthy eating, and manage personal needs independently. Through supported interaction with their peers they will learn how to make good friendships, co-operate and resolve conflicts peaceably.
EYFS may also use the Jigsaw Scheme of Work materials.
Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 -
Pupils are taught PSHE using ‘Jigsaw’ which is a spiral, progressive scheme of work, and 'aims to prepare children for life, helping them to know and value who they are and understand how they relate to other people in this ever-changing world’. There is a strong emphasis on emotional Literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health. It includes mindfulness to allow children to advance their emotional awareness, concentration, and focus.
PSE and RSE is taught through Jigsaw’s six half termly themes with each year group studying the same unit at the same time (at their own level):
Autumn 1: Being Me in My World
Autumn 2: Differences (including anti-bullying)
Spring 1: Dreams and Goals
Spring 2: Healthy Me
Summer 1: Relationships
Summer 2: Changing Me (including Sex Education)
It also identifies links to British Values, and SMSC and is taught in such a way as to reflect the overall aims, values, and ethos of the school.
By the time our children leave our school they will:
- be able to approach a range of real-life situations and apply their skills and attributes to help navigate themselves through modern life
- be on their way to becoming healthy, open minded, respectful, socially and morally responsible, active members of society
- appreciate difference and diversity
- recognise and apply the British Values of Democracy, Tolerance, Mutual respect, Rule of law and Liberty
- be able to understand and manage their emotions
- be able to look after their mental health and well-being
- be able to develop positive, healthy relationship with their peers both now and in the future.
- understand the physical aspects involved in RSE at an age-appropriate level
- have respect for themselves and others.
- have a positive self esteem